Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gone Fishin'

The Novel Woman's posts will be more erratic than usual, i.e., less frequent not "deviating from the normal or conventional in behavior or opinions" although that might be up for debate.

I'll be spending a good chunk of the summer at the lake, where there is no internet access. Okay, there is, because it was introduced this year, but at great cost both to one's wallet and to one's freedom to sit quietly on the porch with a book in one hand and a gin and tonic in the other.

Yes, if I had high speed wireless I could stay connected, but there are other ways to do that. Like playing board games with kids and guests until the wee hours, singing songs at a lakeside bonfire, relating stories from childhood with friends and family and snuggling with my husband. I guess that's the way I want to be connected. And I do a lot more reading and writing when there are no other distractions.

If I'm desperate, I can wander up the road to my Swedish neighbours and "borrow" some internet time from their front porch, or kitchen if they're up. They make me coffee and joke about becoming an Internet Cafe. But more often than not, once emails are checked, the laptop is put aside and we're sharing a laugh over lunch.

No. I don't think I want internet access.

So see you when I see you. I'll post when I can. In the meantime, I'll be writing, reading a delicious stack of novels I've saved for summer, photographing anything that takes my fancy, and swimming at dusk under blazing skies in a cold, black lake while the loons call back and forth.

3 comments:

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

You know, more of us should spend time at a lake even if we're not at a lake.

Do we really NEED to log on every day and check e-mail myspace, facebook, linkedIN, and a dozen blogs? Probably not.

Enjoy you're time at the lake: what a blessing, very little Internet access.

Malcolm

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time at the lake! Come back refreshed and full of stories to share.

Laura Bradbury said...

Enjoy Pam! I'm doing the same over here - also consuming astounding amounts of baguette.

Bises xo