Thursday, May 24, 2007

Town House

I had this novel on my TBR list for some time. I made a note of it in my "Inspiration" file after I read in Publishers Marketplace that the author, Tish Cohen, wrote the whole thing in 3 1/2 weeks. That's right. An entire, first novel in 3 1/2 weeks. Not only was the novel optioned for film before it was even published, the screenwriter adapting the book to film is Doug Wright (QUILLS, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA,) a Pulitzer Prize winner. I had to see for myself if it would live up to all the advance hype, and to my great surprise, it does. It's a wonderfully funny tale of Jack Madigan, son of a dead rock star, who now lives in a crumbling Boston mansion with his teenage son Harlan. Jack has not paid his bills and the bank is foreclosing on his house. A bigger problem than the looming eviction is the fact that Jack is agoraphobic. Its cast of characters are endearing, the plot is engaging, and there are some real laugh-out-loud moments. Yay Tish!

No comments: